Thursday, August 20, 2009

Leading by example

In today's workplace there is a high priority placed upon the proper training of managers. Interestingly enough, what corporations and employers are seeking through the training of their managers is not some technical skill rooted in their specific field, but interpersonal skills. What today's employers are seeking is a manager who can work well with others. It may not be possible for everyone to be trained so thoroughly as those high up on the corporate ladder, but we can all learn two specific people skills which can enable us to work well with others. First is the concept of imputation, and secondly exemplification. These will be discussed in the next few paragraphs.
The concept of imputation, not to be confused with the theological terminology, simply stated is that which results from what we expect of others. We often get just what we expect from those whom we lead. Not many people would argue that. People tend to conform to what is expected of them. I know this to be true of my own life. I have had jobs in the past where everything is spelled out in specifics from a to z; other jobs, which I have had, seem to be so unclear, that I never even knew if I was fulfilling all that was expected of me. The same is true in the rearing of children. They want to know their boundaries and what is expected of them and they are happier when proper expectations are evident. It is true that people are the key to success, when they believe they count for something in the overall scheme of things, they tend to work toward the greater end of the company or business. Good managers will always place a high priority on their associates, knowing their associates strengths and weaknesses, the managers will utilize these strengths to the maximum potential.
Exemplification is basically setting an example for those under us to follow. A good manager would never expect more than he himself gives. People who have developed the skill of exemplification know that they need to work with people-not against them. They don't alienate by making demands which they themselves could never life up to. The Pharisees, in Jesus day, where people who needed to develop the skill of exemplification (among other things). Jesus condemned the Pharisees for their inability to do what they required of others. In the end, the question a good manager must ask is, are my expectations realistic?
I am faced with many challenges of management. I am a husband, a father, and a business owner. As such I face all kinds of situations where I work with people and need to develop my inter personal skill all the time. It is crucial for me to check myself on a frequent basis to see, if I have been working on bettering my imputation and exemplification skills. I am encouraged to lead by example and seek to encourage those who I am in contact with, and lead on a daily basis.

No comments:

Subscribe Now: standard

Essential Piper Trilogy

Followers

Highlands Ministries

Jason Short's Facebook profile